Expansion in Dementia Coding
- Dementia, endometriosis, maternal care for fetal disorders, head injuries, and motorcycles/electric bike accidents are part of the newly added diagnosis code sets.
- New Social Determinants of Health codes in Chapter 21, Factors Influencing Health Status and Contact with Health Services (Z00-Z99).
- 87 new codes added to the dementia family of codes in Chapter 5, Mental, Behavioral, and Neurodevelopmental Disorders
- To include more information on dementia severity and associated behavioral disorders.
- 168 endometriosis codes newly added to Chapters 14, Diseases of the Genitourinary System (N00-N99)
- Provide additional specificity on anatomic locations, depth, and laterality.
- 200 new codes added to Pregnancy, Childbirth, and the Puerperium (O00-O9A)
- A Large number of fetal conditions added that were not adequality provided in the prior versions of ICD-10-CM
- 10×1 – Maternal care for (suspected) chromosomal abnormality in fetus 1, unspecified
- 11×3- Maternal care for (suspected) chromosomal abnormality in fetus 3, Trisomy 13
- 12×0 – Maternal care for (suspected) chromosomal abnormality in fetus, Trisomy 18 – not applicable or unspecified
Impact Lymphoma, Atherosclerosis, and More
- Sample of other new 2023 ICD-10-CM diagnosis code sets
- 00- D68.09 – Von Willebrand disease
- 321-E34.329 – Genetic causes of short stature
- 031-G71.039 – Limb-girdle muscular dystrophies
- 31 – Postviral fatigue syndrome
- “Refractory angina pectoris” added to Atherosclerosis Heart Disease
- Anatomic location added to the aortic aneurysm code sets
- Intervertebral annulus fibrosis defect added to M51, Thoracic, thoracolumar, and lumbosacral intervertebral disc disorders
- Primary sleep apnea in newborns will now include the type – central, obstructive, mixed, other primary.
- Major additions in the already available head, brain, and intracranial injury code sets – contusions, lacerations, diffuse traumatic injuries, traumatic hemorrhage.
- 651-T43.656 – Poisoning by, adverse effect of and underdosing of methamphetamines
Updates with such short-term deadlines can be sure overwhelming for practices. Quintessence can sure help your team adjust to these changes with our certified and experienced coders, after all, accurate coding is the key to a healthy Revenue Cycle.